Work matters to everyone, including disabled people.
Into Work is a charity – a non-profit organisation. We have many years’ experience helping disabled people and those with long-term health conditions achieve their goal of both finding and keeping a paid job.
Into Work would like to see a world where disabled people and those with long-term health conditions have equal opportunity to take up employment and receive fair treatment in work.
We help the people who come to us secure meaningful, paid and sustainable employment.
We do this by:
- Working with, and supporting, both jobseekers and employers
- Working in partnership with funders and other organisations to effect positive change
- Developing and using models of good practice in our everyday work
Our values are very important to us and are at the core of who we are and what we do.
- We take time to get to know people and work with them on an individual basis
- We identify their specific needs and employment goals and adjust our support accordingly
- We encourage flexibility in others, particularly employers, demonstrating that workplace adjustments can make all the difference to someone being successful in their new job
- We’re good at what we do but we know we can’t do it all
- We work collaboratively with other organisations; initiating joint approaches to delivering services
- We provide opportunities for structured discussion, questioning and information sharing with staff
- We nurture and support creativity and the development of new ideas and ways of working
- We go the extra mile to deliver the best outcomes we can for individuals and for the organisation
- We challenge ourselves and ask the people we support, as well as employers, to do the same themselves
- We encourage open experimentation and accept failure as a necessary part of change and progress
- We listen actively, speak candidly, question thoughtfully and challenge openly
- We encourage honest communications with the people we help, with employers, our staff and our partners as we believe this is needed for our services to be a success
- We manage people’s expectations for the future by matching them to realistic opportunities appropriate to their skills, abilities and areas of interest
- We tell people when we believe things aren’t working out and we need to take a new direction with them
- We value all opinions. Our staff, whatever their job role, are encouraged to openly share their opinions and views
Our employment services are based on the 5 Stage Supported Employment Model. This is a widely recognised model for helping people with multiple barriers into work and is endorsed by the Scottish Government.
We also work in partnership with other organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors by providing employment adviser, manager, or trainer time to complement or enhance their existing services.
We are funded by grants and local government contracts that enable us to work with people who live in Edinburgh, Midlothian and East Lothian.
Into Work was set up in 1993 by Lothian Regional Council’s Economic Development department with funding from the Scottish Executive. For the first four years we delivered capacity-building and development services to other local organisations and local public sector projects before gradually shifting our focus to delivering our own employment services from 1998.